Please note: The deadline for submitting applications for the 2008 IOCC Internship Program is January 31, 2008. Applicants will be notified of IOCC’s decision by April 1, 2008.
Work overseas in the exciting field of humanitarian relief!
The mission of International Orthodox Christian Charities (IOCC) is to respond to the call of our Lord Jesus Christ to minister to people in need throughout the world, sharing with them God’s gifts of food, shelter, economic self-sufficiency and hope.
History of International Orthodox Christian Charities
Established in 1992, IOCC is the official humanitarian aid agency of the Standing Conference of Canonical Orthodox Bishops in the Americas (SCOBA).
Working in cooperation with and through Orthodox Churches worldwide, IOCC provides assistance to vulnerable populations, refugees, and internally displaced persons (IDPs) solely on the basis of need through programs such as:
Refugee/IDP Return and Assistance
Disaster and Emergency Relief
Shelter Reconstruction and Repair
Small Business Development
Agriculture and Food Production
Community Development and Mobilization
Public Health Programs
IOCC is based in Baltimore, Md., and currently has offices in Ethiopia, Greece, Jerusalem/West Bank, Lebanon, Jordan, the Republic of Georgia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Romania, the Russian Federation, Serbia, and Montenegro.
IOCC Internship Program in 2008
The IOCC Internship Program offers a unique opportunity to gain first-hand experience in the operations of an international humanitarian aid organization.
In 2008, IOCC is offering one 3-month internship in Ethiopia. IOCC internships require a 10 to 12 week full-time commitment. Internship assignments are based on the needs of a particular field office. The proposed internship locations may change due to programmatic changes in the field that cannot always be predicted months ahead.
The intern will receive a stipend of $500 per month. IOCC will also cover the following expenses: visas and related costs, round trip airfare, lodging, and workmen’s compensation while overseas.
Terms of Reference
IOCC has been supporting projects in Ethiopia since 2001. The primary goal of IOCC in Ethiopia is to alleviate human suffering through systematic research and long-term solutions based on collaboration with our local partners, the Ethiopian Orthodox Church and its Development Commission. IOCC seeks to assist all Ethiopians in need through programs such as HIV/AIDS awareness and education, food security, civil society building, training, and capacity development. Currently IOCC’s program in Ethiopia is funded by USAID. For latest information on the HIV/AIDS program in Ethiopia, please click here.
II. Intern Assignment Objectives:
1. To assist in the strengthening of community-based services to provide care and support for the nation’s more than 1 million orphans and vulnerable children, and palliative and hospice care for its millions of people with HIV/AIDS.
2. To assist in developing programs that will increase the capacity of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church and its social development departments to respond to the national HIV/AIDS epidemic.
III. Specific Activities:
1. To assist youth groups to achieve goals, and to actively participate in peer counseling and behavior change communication support.
2. To assist in rolling out community-based care of people living with HIV/AIDS.
3. To provide support for the development of Capacity Building programs for HIV/AIDS related training.
4. To assist in planning public rallies and promotional events for HIV/AIDS related programs.
5. To provide administrative and other necessary support for IOCC Program Manager and HIV/AIDS Project Officer.
Understanding of HIV/AIDS issues related to the African context. Public Health and/or Health studies. Experience with developing training materials and conducting public health training exercises.
This position reports to HIV/AIDS Project Officer based in Ethiopia.
VI. Internship Start Date:
Depends on the intern’s availability.
1. Complete an on-line application form by clicking here.
2. Submit a resume to IOCC by email, fax, or standard mail (see information below).
3. Submit a writing sample (five pages or less on any subject) to IOCC by email, fax or standard mail.
4. Submit one letter of recommendation to IOCC by email, fax, or standard mail.
5. Ask your school to send a certified transcript to IOCC (see address below).
All inquiries and applications may be directed to:
International Orthodox Christian Charities
110 West Road, Suite 360
Baltimore, MD 21204
Phone: 410-243-9820 — Fax: 410-243-9824
(Please write “IOCC 2008 Internship Program” in the subject line)